The Department was established as from 1.1.2009 and is responsible for the formulation, coordination, implementation and monitoring of the policies for persons with disabilities in cooperation and consultation with the co-responsible Ministries and Services as well as the Pancyprian Confederation of Organisations of Persons with Disabilities. The main responsibilities of the Department are:
The Department´s vision is the improvement of the quality of life of persons with disabilities and the creation of new prospects for their social inclusion through the design, coordination and implementation of reforming actions.
· The promotion and monitoring of the implementation of the UN Convention for the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, the European Disability Strategy 2010-2020 and the general legal framework regulated by the Persons with Disabilities Laws.
· The administrative support of the Pancyprian Council for Persons with Disabilities, being the highest consultative body for the national policy for persons with disabilities.
· The operation of the new System for the Assessment of Disability and Functioning.
· The reorganization of the vocational training and rehabilitation sector for persons with disabilities and the design and implementation of new and modern training and employment programmes.
· The operation of social benefits schemes and programmes for persons with disabilities such as financial allowances and aid for the provision of wheelchairs
· The provision of information for the rights of persons with disabilities and the promotion of values and attitudes in an inclusive society for persons with disabilities.