The International Labour Organisation (ILO) was founded in 1919 and is the UN specialized agency which seeks the promotion of social justice and internationally recognized human and labour rights. The ILO formulates international labour standards in the form of Conventions that member states are invited to ratify. The ratification of ILO conventions creates a legal responsibility for the ratifying state to abide by the provisions of the convention in question. Moreover, apart from the existence of ILO Conventions, the ILO in many cases issues Recommendations, that essentially provide guidelines for the effective application of specific issues pertaining to ILO Conventions. It should be noted that ILO Recommendations are not legally binding on member states.
Cyprus, has ratified all the ILO Fundamental Human Rights Conventions, which cover the areas of Freedom of Association and Collective Bargaining (Conventions 87 & 98), the Elimination of Forced and Compulsory Labour (Conventions 29 and 105), the Elimination of Discrimination in respect of Employment and Occupation (Conventions 100 & 111), and the Abolition of Child Labour (Conventions 138 and 182). Apart from the Fundamental Human Rights Conventions Cyprus has also ratified a substantial number of other Conventions, which can be seen in the attached table.
More information and full text documents of ILO Conventions and Recommendations can be found on the ILO's website.
The Conventions that Cyprus has ratified and are under the authority of the Department of Labour Relations are the following:
- Convention 87 - Freedom of Association and Protection of the Right to Organise Convention, 1948
- Convention 95 - Protection of Wages Convention, 1949
- Convention 98 - Right to Organise and Collective Bargaining Convention, 1949
- Convention 100 - Equal Remuneration Convention, 1951
- Convention 106 - Weekly Rest (Commerce and Offices) Convention, 1957
- Convention 135 - Workers' Representatives Convention, 1971
- Convention 154 - Collective Bargaining Convention, 1981
- Convention 171 - Night Work Convention, 1990
- Convention 172 - Working Conditions (Hotels and Restaurants) Convention, 1991
- Convention 175 - Part-Time Work Convention, 1994